15 Dec 2020
Travelling with kids this Christmas?
We’ve got a tonne of ways to keep them entertained at the airport this Christmas.
Here at the airport we understand the challenges of travelling with kids. From packing to organising to managing moods during the journey, there’s a lot to juggle!
When travelling with kids it’s especially important to get to the airport early so you can get checked in and settled before you fly. Of course, the trade-off is keeping them entertained while you wait. Not to worry, at Christchurch Airport we have loads of attractions and activities to keep young minds engaged.
Whether you’re waiting for your flight or picking up visiting loved ones, here’s the definitive guide to kid friendly fun at the airport this Christmas.
- Take a photo at our Christmas ‘sELFie’ wall, located just within the main entrance. We’ve also hidden another six selfie spots throughout the terminal – take your kids on a hunt to find them all.
- Breaking news, Santa has just lodged flight plans for a series of special visits to Christchurch Airport! From Monday 21st to Christmas Day, Santa and his elves will be dropping by to say ho-ho-hello and give out treats to little ones. Check out Santa's schedule on our events page.
- O Christmas Tree! Take a family photo in front of Christchurch’s largest Christmas tree! This towering tree is just outside the terminal and looks gorgeous sparkling at night. See if you can get kids, tree and the Airways air traffic control tower in the photo.
- Grab a free Mini Explorer Passport Activity Book and a pack of colouring pencils from one of our information desks. They’re designed to keep kids busy with colouring-in pages, fun facts and even a postcard to send to friends and family around the world.
Games and puzzles
- Discover fun on a whole new scale. Challenge the kids to a game of giant chess or keep them busy with the giant Canterbury Planes puzzle, located at Domestic Arrivals.
- Kids bouncing off the walls? Channel that youthful energy into a ping pong battle. Our tables are free to use and you’ll find them just outside the terminal. Perfect for a summer’s day.
Explore and discover
- Experience art in a whole new dimension. Simply download the 'Plain Sight' app and head up to our Canterbury mural at Gate 15 or Orange-Fronted Parakeet mural under the Express Park building. View the murals through the app and see elements come to life before your eyes.
- Find all the ‘mini-me’s’ – our collection of bollards dressed up as various characters. From firefighters to pilots to All Blacks, kids love spotting them and guessing what they are. Located outside Doors 2 and 7.
- The sky is a busy place. Check out all the planes that are in the air around the world on the live flight radar, located in the Digital Innovation Zone on the first floor, near Domestic Arrivals.
- Meet Pepper the real life robot! Pepper is located in the Digital Innovation Zone on the first floor, near Domestic Arrivals. (Disclaimer, he may be sleeping.)
- Check out our resident penguins. Part of the Pop-Up Penguins event, you’ll find a large beauty in our outdoors plaza and four smaller ones looking for fishy eats in the Food Court.
- Play with light and sound in the interactive Antarctic Walkway. Located outside Door 9, sensors throughout the walkway transform real life movement into light and sound. It’s fun all day and especially dazzling at night.
Shop and eat
- A number of our terminal shops have great gear for kids, from puzzles to books, gadgets to goodies. Have a browse and discover some cool finds!
- Why not treat the kids to a special snack while they’re here. Think donuts, fluffies, hot chips, fresh fruit smoothies… while mum and dad enjoy a well-deserved flat white.
From tots to tweens there are tonnes of fun things to do at the airport this Christmas. With so many ways to keep busy, time is sure to fly – so don’t forget to keep an eye on the arrivals and departures screen too!
We hope you have a wonderful holiday, fun travels and look forward to seeing you at the airport soon.